Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dare to answer the commission

I have a confession.
I am terrified of witnessing.
I truly want to reach out to my neighbors, co-workers, friends, extended family, etc with the words of truth but I am so afraid.
Afraid of floundering and stammering

Afraid of mixing up my verse references/saying something that
 is not biblically sound

but ultimately…

Afraid of being mocked and rejection of God’s word

 

 
So the sermon passage on Sunday kind of hit me squarely in the face

Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.
Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
Colossians 4: 2 – 5

My pastor gave us four rules for biblical evangelism
-      Pray! So obvious yet I always forget to remember to do it. God reminds me over and over again in His Word to ask and I shall receive. So if I pray for that open door, He will gladly give it to me.
-      Don’t use ‘Christianese’. The gospel is a simple message, we love to make it some grandiose subject of debate.
-      Live a life that is blameless. Truth is, I will sin today, tomorrow, next week, next month. However, daily I need to strive to live in a way that is different from those around me. As a friend in our small group said a few weeks ago, “Live such that if there is a rumor of some scandal at school/work etc no one would even think of associating your name with it.”
-      Make sure your speech is salty. Just as salt is purifying, flavorful, healing and sometimes hurtful (try it on an open wound). I need to ensure that my words are pure, flavorful (in a good way), compassionate and truthful even if the truth hurts/rebukes someone.
These are all straightforward rules from the Bible. Of course, it does not mean that this is the only way to witness to people. I do know that if I truly live my life this way, people will notice the difference. Lord I pray that you would help me to live this way every day!

Do you struggle with the 'Great Commission'? Do you have any ideas/input or encouragement to share? Here are words from a song that help me to remember how I should live.

May the words of my mouth, and the thoughts of my heart
Bless Your name, bless Your name, Jesus.
And the deeds of the day, and the truth in my way,
Speak of You, speak of You, Jesus.

For this is what I’m glad to do,
It’s time to live a life of love that pleases You.
And I will give my all to You,
Surrender everything I have and follow You!

I am a day late but I still want to share more blessings on my road to 1000 gifts from God:
#76 God’s reminder that I can ask Him for anything
#77 knowing that God knows of my fears and He sends the right word at the right time
#78 enjoying a movie with new friends, strengthening the relationship
#79 coffee to get me going almost every morning
#80 walks with MrH where we talk about something…or…nothing
#81 phone calls with my mother who always tells me she is praying for us
#82 preparing for our trip to Kenya
#83 splashing in cool ocean waters on a 90◦ day
#84 dinner double date, deepening friendships
#85 knowing you have wandered,  praying for His grace and receiving it!
#86 days, months, years…lives given to protect this country

Today I am linking up with:
       

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I love about the Great Commission: God just wants me to try. He doesn't expect me to be perfect, and He knows I won't always get it right. But if I try, it gives Him something to work with. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I get pretty freaked out about evangelizing. But then I realize I don't *always* have to preach the Word with words -- my actions can speak of Jesus' love just as clearly.

    ReplyDelete