Monday, September 5, 2011

Reflecting on thankfulness

I haven't updated my list of gifts in a while. At first I was busy but honestly, after awhile it was because I got lazy. Sadly I have realized that the longer I stay without counting, the less I look all around for things to be thankful for.
I am taking more and more for granted as if what I have, I have always had. Forgetting even that this very breath I take is a gift.

I was going to write a lovely post filled with lots of things that I am thankful for but that would be forced. I would be filling it with the now, the immediate that I notice around me, what I consider to be nice to mention as gifts. 
But am I truly thankful?
Is it just writing in order to direct traffic to my blog?
Am I really seeing the gifts...
...or is it all just lip service being offered up to God?

Does true thanks consist of a post written only when I have time to do it?

I'd like to do better. I'd like to be more conscious, thankful, ... humble.

This is my prayer as I start this new week: Open my eyes Lord, help me to see you in the everyday. Help me to have a truly grateful heart. Redirect my gaze Lord, away from myself and my day-to-day stuff, and back on you where it belongs. Thank you for your mercy on this child who just. doesn't. get. it. sometimes.    Amen

As I pick up where I left off, I can say that I am truly thankful for these:
#140 God's daily unfailing mercy towards me 
#141 seeing myself for what I am - an unpleasant experience YET a great reminder that I am but a sinner saved by grace
#142 MrH and I are debt-free!! Until we decide to buy a house that is....
#143 having a like-minded spouse especially in financial matters
#144 an extra day off (Labor Day) whoo hoo!


"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks..." I Thess.5:16-18


As I rejoin the multitudes on Monday I pray that you too will start to count 1,000 ways God blesses you.




7 comments:

  1. Being debt free is such an amazing gift!!

    I truly identify with your post. I kept forgetting and then I questioned my motivation for doing the counting. But I realize that it honestly is helpful to continue the counting and to stay in community with others who are doing the same.

    joy and blessings to you,
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Lately I've been guilty of over-indulging in myself and not taking time be truly thankful. Thanks for the reminder. Think I'll join you in redirecting my gaze as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love your prayer!!! Praying that with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your honesty. definitely, it is easy to do something that we should do with mind and heart and start doing it as a habit, forgetting the purpose. But, being reminded of our lowly status makes us turn our eyes to the Creator and be amazed by Him once again, so there is nothing wrong with that!! May God bless you sweetie! hugs from far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Short but very sweet list. So happy to hear that you are debt free! My husband and I are going through Financial Peace University. Working on paying off one debt and then our house. :0)

    Popping in from A Holy Experience, so good to meet you! :0)

    Much Love & Blessings,
    ESTHER
    www.oursimplecountrylife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post and I'm looking forward to more like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your honesty here. and congratulations on #138!

    ReplyDelete