Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's not about me

Happy Wednesday! The week is already half gone and I still feel like there is so much to do...
I would like to share a quick poem that I carry in my Bible as a reminder that this life is not about me – it really isn’t! But the way I live you would think that it is!! These words are sobering and I truly pray that God helps me to be less about me but more about Him.
When you are forgotten or neglected or purposely set at naught,
and you don't sting or hurt with the insult or oversight,
but your heart is happy, being counted worthy to suffer for Christ
that is dying to self.

When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded or your opinions ridiculed,
and you refuse to let anger rise in your heart or even to defend yourself,
but take it all in patient, loving silence
that is dying to self.

When you lovingly, patiently bear any disorder, irregularity, impunctuality or annoyance;
when you come face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensitivity and endure it just as Jesus endured it
that is dying to self.

When you are content with any food, any offering, any raiment,
any climate, any society, any solitude, any interruption by the will of God
that is dying to self.

When you never refer to yourself in conversation,
or to record your own good works,
or itch after commendation,
when you can truly love to go unknown
that is dying to self.

When you can see your brother or sister have his or her needs met
and can honestly rejoice in spirit and can feel no envy nor question God,
while your own needs are far greater and in more desperate circumstances
that is dying to self.

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself
and can humbly submit inwardly as well as outwardly,
finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart
that is dying to self.

–Bill Britton
The only question left to ask myself is: Am I dead yet?

 “Search me, O God and know my heart ; Try me, and know my anxieties;
  And see if there is any wicked way in my, And lead me in the way everlasting.” Ps. 139: 23–24

~MrsH
Linking to: 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. I really needed to read this at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete