Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Christmas What If

source
Seriously, would you have anything right now? Would you have a place to stay? Would you have a job? Would you be in a relationship? Would you have hair? teeth? Would you even have life???

One of my favorite pastors Bob Coy spoke on Sunday about being thankful. His message confirmed to me yet again that I need to keep refocusing my attention to what is important during this Christmas season. His first question was what I posted above and sadly I know that if God gave me according to my thankful attitude lately, I would be desolate or dead right now!
It is so easy to be caught up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas festivities and giftings to the point of stress and hurt during a time that should be filled with joy, merry making and gratitude.
So, what's a person to do? Well Bob gives us three ways to get us started.
1. To cultivate a thankful heart, appreciate what you have

David in Psalm 23 may not have gotten everything he "wanted" but he did have everything he needed. I don't prefer the Message Bible but I do love how this particular psalm reads. You can find that here
2. To cultivate a thankful heart, invest for a better future (both on Earth and in Heaven)

Offering a helping hand to a coworker/neighbor goes a long way in improving your relationship with these individuals but it also adds stocks and options in your heavenly portfolio. And this is just one example!
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth not rus destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  -Matthew 6:19-21
3. To cultivate a thankful heart, give unlimited grace just as you have been given unlimited grace.
"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace" - Ephesians 1:7
Isn't it wonderful how God confirms how He wants us to live our lives? Here I am trying to become a more thankful person, counting my way to 1000 gifts, learning more about God's grace AND THEN in one sermon I hear the same messages repeated!!! I so love the fact that my heavenly Father cares enough to point me in the right direction over and over and over and over again :)

Thank Pastor Bob for your convicting message this week. If I lived close to your church I would so come there!!!

So dear reader, my encouragement once again to you is focus on what is most important. Be an encourager and when shopping/cooking/partying/gift wrapping threaten to take your joy away, remember Who we are celebrating and thank Him for all He has done for you today.

In Christ, MrsH
Linking to Living Well Wednesdays and A Holy Experience

5 comments:

  1. God has many ways He speaks to us...Praise His wonderful name! I pray my Christmas blog can minister to you as it has to me...blessings in the Lord!

    http://preparingtomeettheking.blogspot.com/2011/12/shocking-but-true-is-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great question to ponder. Thank you for sharing it. We all know that being grateful is important, somehow asking this question puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, very nice post!!! Thank you for sharing, I really love it! And I really need to do some changes in my life.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an AMAZING concept! Thanks for this. :)

    ReplyDelete