Tuesday, January 10, 2012

my 2012 resolutions...

...are not to make any resolutions; well at least no unrealistic ones J
Too often I find myself saying that this is the year to do this/that/the other and of course I stick to my goal for the first 2 months and then…..I stop
This year I will strive to do what I am already doing - just aiming to do it better!

1.   Read through the Bible: Some of the Old Testament books are harder for me to understand but with God's help I want to be able to take on these passages as well as the rest of the Bible. I am going with the chronological approach this year and so far it is quite interesting!
2.   Run at least 450 miles: The way I see it, I can run 3 miles, 3 times a week. If I give myself two weeks off (already having used up one of these freebies yikes!), I am left with 50 weeks…I will be so excited to report at the end of this year, Lord willing, that I was able to accomplish this goal!
3.   Take time to craft a letter/email/card to a friend twice a month: I admit that I am a texter. I send out one sentence lines saying “thinking about ya” or “praying for you” or “how YOU doing??” etc. However, I would like to take time to actually organize my thoughts and truly share myself with friends, plus who doesn’t like getting mail? – at least the kind letting you know someone is thinking of you J
4.   Be more intentional in friendships: Along the same lines, I also want to build more enriching friendships. This one is a little harder because it is not measurable. I just know that I want my friendships to be more about encouraging one another, accountability, sharing the hurting heart and iron sharpening iron. In one word, I want to go deeper. All I can do is change myself so I will strive to avail myself more to those around me, and to be an encouragement in their lives.
5.   Memorize verses(hopefully weekly) with MrH: MrH and I realize that we have been slacking when it comes to developing spiritual maturity together. True, life gets busy at times, but that should not be an excuse for not finding time to encourage each other to hide God's Word in our hearts.
6.   Be a better wife and companion to MrH: 2011 was a wonderful year as far as marriage goes. I am constantly thanking God for this amazing guy He has put in my life. However, I catch myself taking MrH for granted which normally results in very silly fights. Even though I know 2012 will have its fair share of disagreements, I want to strive to be fair, open and willing to put MrH's desires above my own - I definitely need God's help because by default, the most important person is me!!

Yesterday at my bible study our leader shared a verse that it perfect for starting the New Year:
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”              -2 Cor. 5:17(NKJV, emphasis mine)
So, as we continue on in this new year, whatever may have happen in the past, I take great comfort when I remember that because I am hidden in Christ, I am new!!!
Well, there you have it! Did any of you make resolutions this year? Have you ever been able to stick to a resolution throughout the whole year?

No comments:

Post a Comment